Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Bright and shiny..

yes, it's new, the project not the thread.
Finding inspiration in various places.
Pretty threads which have been resting for some time in a bag in my lounge room.
A chance sighting of a project on a person I passed in my travels last weekend.
Pretty flower motif generously shared by Annette of My Rose Valley.
It's true mine look a little different to the original. I made the pink and white practice flower and decided that I really didn't care for the largish centre hole, so I added another row to fill that in for the most part.
I am really enjoying playing with these 1970's colours. All of the threads are op shop specials with some of them probably originating in that era.
1.5 mm hook - 8 cm square
Size and shape of the finished item will be dependent on how far these threads go and when I tire of making pretty flowers. Sure there are more spools of some of these colours and lots more beige for the square borders.
Cotton perle in sizes 8 and 10 because not all threads are created the same!
After seeing 'The Orchardist' by Amanda Coplin mentioned by more than one yarn along participant, it was really obvious on the display at the library! I just had to take it home to read. I have not been disappointed. While this is a book which skirts some taboo issues, it is very readable and sensitive of the characters experiences.
Joining the fun of the Yarn Along today.
Sunny Thursday wishes to all.

12 comments:

Melody said...

I love these pretty flowers.

Ana BC said...

I prefer your center, too. The flower squares are delightful, and the beige background looks so elegant. Lovely!

Maria said...

Such pretty bright flowers..

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

Very pretty modification to the square pattern!

Rosie said...

Lovely flowers and colours used. You make me want to do some as well.

linda said...

They are beautiful, lovely bright happy colours, I like the smaller hole too, can't wait to see what you do with them when they are all finished. :)

Christine M said...

Your flowers are lovely!

Shay said...

My first thought when you said that most of this crochet cotton was from the op shop was "No Way"....how can something from the op shop look so fabulous.

Love the coloured centres and the neutral outer...they look fantastic!

70's with a twist.

Fiona said...

love your crochet flowers... and I do love that you are giving 'old' crochet cotton new life...
Hugz

karen said...

that is an excellent book choice! Love your squares and the thin yarn-beautiful!!

Wendy said...

Your flower blocks are gorgeous, love the colours.

Michelle said...

Ooooh....those are gorgeous!