Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Swans and casting on..

Just  a clue as to how many swans are calling our little piece of the bay home this summer.

(for Maria)

I have had a little cast on fest happening here this week - making a start on the Stash Busting challenge.

Trying the Owlie sock pattern with big beady eyes!
This pattern is a feebie over on Ravelry, the designer suggests much smaller beads for the eyes, but I have these one handy and I'm happy with how they look.

These leftovers from past socks really wanted a part of the action too -


so more casting on... One is still in the cuff stage and the other has the leg part completed.

Oh, sure I added more colours because three just wasn't enough for the pattern I chose.
The cuff design is Stand Tall from 'Socks a La Carte' and the leg pattern is Estonian Kapotad Socks from 'Knitting Socks from around the world'
So far all's good but as I have no accurate way of measuring the quantity of each yarn these will be completed to accommodate any shortfalls (read the stripes on the foot may not match the original design).


For this weeks reading I have chosen a biography as the two novels that I read this week ended very unsatisfactorily - it felt like they finished in the middle of  a thought, may as well have been halfway through a sentence!

'An Angel in the Court' by Anne Henderson about Major Joyce Harmer and her life as a Court Chaplain.
I've made a start on this book and while it begins at the end of her career, it quickly reverts to her background and family upbringing. There is quite a bit of detail but it is quite readable and in places  entertaining.

Joining all the clever yarn crafters yarning along this week.

10 comments:

Maria said...

Your eyes are just gorgoeus and I love the BIG eyes...
What beautiful wool you are using for the next project too.

Melody said...

Great knitting. You are so lucky to live by the sea

Ana BC said...

Nice progress!!! The "owl" sock look difficult, but they are so cute. Definitely worth the effort...

Hannah said...

What lovely knitting you have on the go! I think the guidance over the beads on the socks might be due to them clashing with footwear?

Jossie said...

That little owl is gorgeous. Your other socks are beauties too. You have a great knitting hand!

Cheryll said...

What beautiful feet you will have... with all those lovely socks!
Well done! :)

Fiona said...

oh my goodness... socks with owls on... just toooooo lovely ... they are so fun.... love the swan picture too... so many of them...
Hugz

knitalatte said...

Hi,
Love your Owl socks, really adorable.

karen said...

I love you socks and the stripes! I do that all the time to thin out my fingering yarns. The owl is so adorable it amazes me how the buttons make the pattern pop!!!

Shay said...

That's a lot of swans...

How many pairs of socks are you up to now? I think you're the most prolific sock maker I know.